The spending agreement that sets federal spending levels will expire at the end of April and President Trump is looking to this as an opportunity to begin cutting domestic programs, increase military spending and begin construction on the Southern Border Wall. In order to pay for this the administration is proposing to cut $18 billion from discretionary funding. These cuts would be especially painful for seniors and other vulnerable populations.
Resistance to the cuts could lead to a standoff between Congress and the President and ultimately a government shutdown, while passage would be disastrous; regardless of the legislative success of the plan, it is clear that the President’s priorities do not align with those of the American people. Below is a sample of the programs that are on the chopping block.
Medicare State Health Insurance Assistance Programs (SHIP) cut 94%
- SHIPs are free, state counseling services that help seniors understand their Medicare, Medicare Advantage, Medigap (Medicare Supplemental Insurance) and Medicaid benefits. SHIP gives seniors information about their Medicare benefits and helps guide their enrollment in new plans.
Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) cut 11%
- LIHEAP helps nearly 7 million Americans with their heating and cooling costs.
Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) cut 50%
- CDBGs give states money for public facilities, housing assistance and other programs for seniors like Meals on Wheels.
Senior Community Service Employment Program (SCSEP) cut 100%
- Over the last 50 years SCSEP has helped over a million seniors find work that benefits themselves and the communities they live in.
Senior Corps cut 76%
- Senior Corps is a group of over 400,000 older Americans who volunteer to give back in a variety of roles, such as mentors, tutors and medical assistants.
This list represents only a fraction of what the President would like to cut. A complete list of the offsets can be seen here
The post Trump Cutting Domestic Programs for Seniors to Build the Wall
appeared first on Retired Americans
The post Trump Cutting Domestic Programs for Seniors to Build the Wall appeared first on IAMAW.