Best Candidates for Working People, 2018: Bill Nelson
This November’s elections are shaping up to be among the most consequential in recent U.S. history. Throughout the summer and fall, we are taking a look at the best candidates for working people. Today, we feature Sen. Bill Nelson of Florida.
Here are some of the key reasons why Nelson is one of the best candidates for working people in 2018:
- He has led efforts to expand Florida’s investment in STEM skills and training that helps workers keep up with advances in technology and automation.
- Nelson supports tax credits for working people looking to change careers or transition into new industries.
- He supports education-related tax breaks that help prepare students for industries that need more skilled workers.
- Nelson supports increasing the minimum wage.
- Nelson is leading the push to invest in the infrastructure necessary to protect Florida’s coastlines against rising sea levels and damage from hurricanes.
- He co-authored the American Innovation and Competitiveness Act, which is designed to improve gender, racial and socioeconomic diversity in the federal workforce and in the science, technology, engineering and math education.
- Nelson supports career and technical training and job readiness programs.
- He is leading the charge to reduce student loan debt.
- Nelson has long been a supporter of public higher education and has helped obtain funding for key programs and facilities in Florida’s public colleges and universities.
- He supports increasing funding for public education and improving pay for teachers and other crucial staff, including secretaries, bus drivers, cafeteria and maintenance workers, janitors, counselors and teachers’ aides.
- Nelson is a champion of fighting against companies using the personal data of working people for profit or in violation of privacy rules.
- He is working to protect consumers from companies that hide information about flaws and safety defects.
- Nelson has spent much of his career fighting back against cuts to Medicare and Social Security.
- He is leading the fight in Congress to lower prescription drug costs and eliminate the Medicare Part D donut hole.
To learn more about Nelson, visit his website.
Fri, 09/14/2018 – 07:49